Salve Mater was a vast psychiatric hospital complex situated in Lovenjoel, a few kilometers away from the city of Louvain. Designed by the architect Joseph Hachez, it opened its doors on 1926, with the presence of Queen Elisabeth. It was a center for female patients and was owned by the university to educate student psychiatrists. In particular, its purpose was to promote a modern study of the director and chief physician Fernand D’ Hollander about abandoning the traditional prison bars and offering maximum comfort and freedom to patients. In the early 1970s the whole complex was transferred to the University Hospital of Woluwe-St-Lambert in Brussels and the buildings were sold to the Catholic University of Louvain, which used some of them as administrative offices. Today, the biggest part of the complex has been fully renovated but the buildings of St Paulus and St Cecile still remain abandoned, offering extraordinary insights in the dark past of this site.